Today I made banana pancakes whilst listening to ‘Banana Pancakes’ by Jack Johnson. I’m that annoying type of person who gets a kick out of their food complementing their music.
I found a vegan pancakes recipes and edited it to make it bananary/bananey? You get the point, it tasted like bananas, and it was very yummy. If you’re someone who prefers fluffy American-style pancakes over thin, floppy ones, you’ll appreciate this recipe. Being ‘thicc’ is all the rage right now so I figured that applies to pancakes too, right?
75g flour (I used oat flour, you can also use standard plain flour)
Ripe banana (about half a large banana/70g)
1 tbsp dairy-free milk (I used almond milk)
1 tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt
1 tbsp caster sugar
- Mix together the dry ingredients.
- Mush the ripe banana with a fork then mix with the water & milk.
- Make a ‘well’ in the dry mix, then slowly pour the wet mix into the well and combine until a gloopy consistency. You now have a pancake mix! (Try not to eat the uncooked pancake mix… I might have possibly indulged in a spoonful or two…)
- Add about 2tsp sunflower oil/vegetable oil/dairy-free butter to a non-stick pan and wait until it has heated up.
- Pour a bit of the pancake mix into the pan and fry for about 30 seconds on each side. I like them small-medium sized so I used about 1.5-2 tbsp for each pancake.
- Continue until you’ve run out of mix, adding a bit more oil/butter in the pan before each pancake. (Try not to shamelessly lick the bowl of leftover pancake mix… or do, I’m not one to judge.)
- Top with syrup and your preferred fruit. Tuck in!
This recipe made 5 fluffy satisfying pancakes. I topped them with frozen raspberries which I unfroze in the microwave (#classy #studentlife #toobroketoaffordfreshberries), pumpkin seeds and maple syrup. They were vegan, gluten free and delicious! It’s important for people to realize that all the yummy treats they can eat as a non-vegan – cakes, pizzas, burgers, cookies, banana pancakes – they can still eat as a vegan; veganism is not restrictive!
P.S. By the time I took the picture I may or may not have already started eating…